Intellectual property partner and head of the Brands team. I advise clients on IP risks, strategies and enforcement.
Tel: +44 (0)121 629 1892
Best brains in...
All aspects of trade mark law, copyrights, designs, trade secrets and confidential information. I've also been appointed by Nominet, the body responsible for the co.uk domain name space, to its panel of dispute resolution experts.
Highlight of your career so far?Obtaining an interim injunction in the High Court the same day as we were instructed by Unilever to restrain the use of the Marmite brand in the British National Party's electoral broadcasts.
Most challenging job you've ever done?
Being part of the Dyson team which successfully argued that designs for spare parts are as deserving of protection as any other form of intellectual property. We won in the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
What's your definition of going the extra mile... And when have you done it?
Working for a client at the expense of supporting the greatest football team to grace these shores in a long time. As a Welshman, living in the Midlands, there can only be one answer - Manchester United!
Best example of a creative legal solution?
A mediated settlement between a major manufacturer of high energy drinks and a pub chain. It involved accepting terms which went beyond the relief available under the Trade Marks Act - a settlement which left both parties a lot better off than had they fought the matter to a full trial and which preserved the commercial relationship.
How do you get under the skin of a client's business?
Familiarising yourself with the client's business - spending time at HQ and on the production line where manufacturing is involved. Understanding the client's strategy and its market is also essential.
What's your single greatest contribution to Wragge & Co's corporate responsibility?
I have worked with various non-governmental charitable organisations advising on IP issues.
What's been written or said about you that you're most proud of?
"Superb litigator" (Chambers UK)
I have been involved in a number of leading intellectual property cases including:
- Dyson v Vax Limited  EWCA Civ 1206: representing Dyson in Court of Appeal in relation to the enforcement of its registered designs in the field of vacuum cleaners.
- AS Watson BV & others v The Boots Company plc and others  EWPCC 26: representing AS Watson (owners of Superdrug) in a trade mark infringement action against Boots in the field of health care.
- Kingspan Group plc & another v Rockwool Limited  EWHC 1066: representing Kingspan in a substantial comparative advertising dispute in relation to insulation boards for the construction industry.
- Unilever plc v Griffin and BNP  EWHC 899 (Ch): representing Unilever plc against the British National Party in relation to the use of Marmite in an election broadcast (copyright and trade mark infringement)
- Codemasters Software Company Limited v Automobile Club L'Ouest (ACO)  EWCH 2361 (Ch): representing the ACO, the organisers of the world famous Le Mans 24 hour races, in a Intellectual property licensing dispute related to video games.
- Gateway Inc v OHIM:  All ER (D) 254 (JAN)/Case C 57-08: representing Gateway Inc (computers and related technology) in a trade mark appeal to the Court Of Justice of the European Union.
- Early Learning Centre v Russimco  EWCH 264 (Ch): representing the Early Learning Centre in design right infringement proceedings in the field of toys.
- Nova Productions Limited v Mazooma Games Limited (and others)  EWCH Civ 219: representing Mazooma Games Limited and others in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a copyright infringement claim involving networked video games.
- Dyson v Qualtex  EWCA Civ 166: representing Dyson in the High Court and Court of Appeal in the leading design case in the UK involving spare parts.
- Partner, Wragge & Co LLP, 2003-present
- Appointed to Nominet's panel of experts for adjudicating disputes in the .uk name space in 2002
- Associate, Wragge & Co LLP, 2000-2003
- Gouldens, now Jones Day, 1991-2000
Intellectual Property litigation, risk management, mediation and dispute resolution, particularly in the fields of brands, designs, confidential information, copyrights as well as domain names
FMCG, retail, sports, fashion, designs, video games
- Newcastle Law School, Common Professional Examinations: awarded Dickinson Dees Prize 1989/90 Newcastle Law School, Law Society Professional Examinations: Ist Class 1990/91
- Warwick University, MA in Continental Philosophy 1988/89
- St Edmund Hall, Oxford University; Philosophy, Politics, Economics, 1981-1984
- Bablake School Coventry
- ITMA - Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys
- PTMG - Pharmaceutical Trade Mark Group
- British Brands Group